Saturday, September 08, 2012

Day 4 of Pinterest...the Laundry

I've been saving this pinterest tip for awhile.  Waiting for a day I needed something quick and easy.  For a few months now, I have been making my own laundry detergent.  It is FAR cheaper than buying detergent, and works just as well.  (Detergent Recipe)

The ONLY downfall to homemade detergent that I have found is that it does not leave your clothes feeling FRESH.  They just, well, smell like, nothing.  One of my great joys of laundry day is pulling my clothes out of the dryer, and taking in a big whiff of Spring Fresh (or Lavender, or vanilla, etc) goodness.  So, the mission today is to create a scented fabric softener.

The ingredients:

White Vinegar
Rubbing Alcohol
Essential Oil, frangrance of your choice 
(* choose Lavender)


Mix 1 quart of Vinegar
1 teaspoon Rubbing Alcohol
20-25 drops of essential oil


I mixed it in this cute pink jug, only to find
that it had a leak.  So, I had to transfer it to the 
only other thing I had: 


I filled my Downy Ball to the line, threw it into the wash
and  waited.


But, for good measure, I also made a "dryer ball".

Take two old socks.  Put 15-20 drops of oil on the foot of
one sock.  Ball it up, put it inside the other sock.


Now you have a fragrant sock ball.  Throw it in the
dryer with your clothes.



Review:  My clothes are soft (just as usual, as I had been using straight vinegar as softener).  There is a slight Lavender scent to the clothes.  Not as strong as when using store bought detergent/softener, but enough to please my nostrils.  I  do believe I will continue to use this.   Not sure of the cost savings, but,  I understand that Commercial Softeners build up on your clothes, and vinegar does not.  So, it should be better for our skin and clothes!


Source: Camp Wander

No comments: